Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Fabric Flower Hairpin

I made this fabric hairpin using a project in All Sewn Up by Chloe Owens. If you haven't got this book I would really recommend buying it, I have been a fan of Chloe Owens' work for a long time now so when I saw she was making a book I had to buy it! I was not disappointed, the book has so many lovely projects. I especially love Chloe's use of machine embroidery and the way she uses parts of patterned fabrics for applique. Unusually for a craft book it made me laugh out loud in the introduction where Chloe Owens describes her cat! You can visit Chloe's website here http://www.chloeowens.com/.

I made my flower slightly smaller than in the book so that it wouldn't be too big to go in my hair. As you can see I used a different fabric for each petal of the flower, as is shown in the project in the book. I love the mixture of different floral fabrics and other patterned fabrics, the green floral fabric is vintage too! I sewed a circle of white felt in the centre of each side of the flower because the way that you make these flowers means that there is a hole in the centre. Then I sewed a pretty floral button in the centre to finish it off. These flowers are really simple and quick to make and they are a great way to use up fabric scraps, I love how the petals of the flower are slightly curved upwards. I love these flowers so much that I'm also planning to make some earrings out of really tiny flowers.





No comments:

Post a Comment