Sunday, 29 July 2012

I'm back...it's a whopper of a post!

I'm now back in the UK after spending a week in Italy and I've got to say, after a week of temperatures around 30 degrees Celsius, it was a shock last night when we got off the plane and were faced with rain and freezing cold temperatures!

While in Italy I stayed in an apartment about two hours away from Naples in a small town called Santa Maria de Castellabate which was by the sea. We visited Pompeii and I was amazed by the size of it, the ruins were much bigger than I had thought. We also walked up to the top of Vesuvius (you don't have walk all the way though, you can drive the first part luckily!). We visited several towns but a particularly lovely town was Sorrento where there were amazing shops, they were completely packed full of goodies, I could have bought everything! On the last night we watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Italian, which was interesting!

I hope you have all had lovely holidays too. I just wanted to show you some of the buys that I brought back from my holiday...

I seem to have become a bit of a postcard collector and I bought quite a few on this holiday.

I bought these postcards in Sorrento, they are watercolour paintings by artist G.Ospitali printed onto lovely textured paper.

I bought these postcards from the top of Vesuvius (yes, I know what you're thinking, I wasn't expecting there to be shops on the top of Vesuvius either!), when I bought them the shop keepers stamped the back of the postcards with a special stamp to show where you had bought them (you can see the stamp in the photo below). 


I bought these three postcards at Pompeii.


There is a bit of a story with this ring...
There was a jeweller's shop near to where I was staying, I saw a beautiful cameo ring in the window and wanted to know how much it was. So I went in and tried to ask how much the ring was (which is pretty hard when you don't know much Italian!) but instead of telling me the price of the ring the shop owner got the ring out so that I could try it on. When the cameo ring didn't fit the shop owner got more rings out of the window and even out of the safe in the shop. Most of the rings were too big and the only one that did fit was 140 euros and was very pretty but looked more like a wedding ring! I had to tell the owner that I would think about it and make a quick exit! So I was thinking, where can I get a cameo ring? I was just about giving up when I found this one in a shop on the top of Vesuvius, it was the last place I expected to find a cameo ring!




I also bought this beautiful Millefiori pendant which I will add to some gold chain.


This small ceramic cat has a tiny candle which smells gorgeous.




I bought this tiny bowl in Sorrento.



I also bought this wooden painted cat.



I bought this wool from a small wool shop near where we were staying, its very soft because it is made from llama wool.


Before I went on holiday I mentioned that I was hoping to find some craft supplies, unfortunately, apart from the wool I was unable to find any. But I'd be really interested to hear about where you have been on holiday and if you were able to find any interesting crafty buys. I'd love it if you left me a comment to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment