Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Wire work Necklace and Earrings

I've been having fun trying out my new metal block for work hardening wire recently, I really don't know why I didn't get one sooner! Work hardening gives my wire work a lovely delicate finish. If you're not familiar with wire work or the technique of work hardening you are probably wondering what I am going on about! Basically, work hardening flattens and spreads out the wire and makes it stiffer by gently hammering the wire on a smooth metal block. 

So, with this new technique mastered I was finally able to some wire work flowers that I had had my eye on for a while. The wire work flowers are featured in The Complete Guide to Wire and Beaded Jewellery by Linda Jones. I made the flowers into a necklace and added lilac Swarovski beads in between the wire work. I also attatched some gold chain and a clasp to the back of the necklace to finish it off.







After having another flick through the book mentioned above I saw a necklace with what I can only describe as squiggles of wire in between glass beads. I started to make the necklace using silver wire for my squiggles and work hardening them, but I made two of the squiggles wrong because they had less bends in  the wire than the intended amount for the necklace.

So, not liking to waste anything, I used the two squiggles of wire to make a pair of earrings, adding two seed pearls and two small Swarovski hearts. I have an 'Oscars' award ceremony for the end of my first year at Sixth Form tomorrow and I think these earrings will be the perfect accessory to wear for the occasion! The necklace is not quite finished yet but I'll make sure I show you as soon as its finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment