Sunday, 17 March 2013

Embroidered and Liberty print shirt

After I had been to London at Christmas you might remember I said I was going to use my Liberty print fabric to customise the cuffs of a shirt. It took me a while to find a completely plain white shirt that would be suitable for what I wanted to do, but I did find one in the end (from Topshop in case you wanted one) that was perfect for what I wanted to do.
 
I decided to embroider a line of flowers onto the top part of the placket, this shirt is particularly suited to this because it has a hidden placket. I drew different styles of flowers onto a piece of paper first so I could decide what would work best on my shirt and which would match the print of the Liberty fabric nicely. After some consideration I settled on a rose style design with small leaves and then drew the design down the placket with an air soluble fabric pen. I then embroidered the flowers and leaves onto the shirt in three different shades of blue and green embroidery thread to compliment the colours of the Liberty fabric.
 
To add the Liberty print to the cuffs I sewed the fabric on by hand and I had to create buttonholes in the Liberty print fabric as well. I thought it would look best to do make the buttonholes with small pieces of the same fabric instead of making them by machine. So I used a technique similar to a bound buttonhole style and also sewed this by hand, kind of making it up as I went along. The Liberty print fabric is on the inside of the cuffs as well so that the cuffs can be turned up in warmer weather and the Liberty print will still be on display.
 
This is the perfect way to add your own twist to a shirt and display some of your favourite print fabrics. Hand embroidery has always been one of my favourite crafts and using embroidery on a wearable item is a great way to add a handmade touch to your clothing.







No comments:

Post a Comment