Saturday, 28 December 2013

Floral shift dress

The pictures of the dress are here at last! I know I promised this yesterday, and I was so organised I took the pictures early while it was still nice and sunny. I was going to write the post in the evening but I got distracted watching Annie Hall and making a few things and completely forgot!
 
I'm quite proud of this dress because its the first proper garment I've made and it fits pretty well, I made a few garments when I was younger but they weren't that great on the fit and I made things in textiles at A level but you could never really do what you wanted, plus they were never made to fit me.
 
I made this dress using a Colette pattern which I mentioned a while ago, it goes down to smaller sizes than the more common pattern books. I did have to alter the dress quite a bit because it was way too big at the front. I absolutely love the fabric, its a printed cotton jersey which I bought in John Lewis way back in June, on my birthday. The pattern recommended adding an interlining so I used a lightweight cotton muslin. The pattern did feature sleeves but I chose not to add these this time, next time I use it I think I'll go all out and add sleeves and pockets!
 
I wanted to keep this dress simple because the pattern is so busy, so I didn't add any embellishment. The neckline and armholes are finished with bias binding which is one of my favourite things in the world! It is the most useful thing ever! At the back there is an invisible zip which was a dream to put in, much more so than all the normal zips I've put in before which I hate.
 
I'm really thanking myself now for saving up for an overlocker a few years ago because it is absolutely brilliant for seams. My only regret is that I should have put the zip higher in the dress because there is too much of a gap between the zip and the top of the dress, this isn't a big disaster though as I managed to make it look alright with two sets of hooks and eyes.
 

 
 

 
I'm a bit terrible when it comes to clothes and tend to be drawn to the more expensive ones. But since finishing this dress, I'm spending all my money on fabric instead to make more dresses, and I want to make some skirts too. I just bought some more jersey fabric in the Liberty sale, you just can't beat a good bit of Liberty print. I don't know why but I never really realised they put fabric in the sale before, but now I do I'll be buying some every year. Check out the website because they have gorgeous fabric in the sale, the only downside is the expensive delivery but I am so looking forward to that purple box arriving. I also bought a few things in the Stitch Craft Create sale yesterday and that included some lovely Tanya Whelan fabric which is destined to become a skirt. But the best thing is nobody has a dress the same as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment