Saturday, 15 March 2014

Vintage and sewing cabinet

For Christmas I was given a plain wooden cabinet from Queen of Crafts which can be decorated. Unfortunately, I think Queen of Crafts has shut down as their website no longer works, so it seems like I got my cabinet just in time. Last month I bought a tester pot of Annie Sloan chalk paint in a dusky pink colour, which I had just enough of to paint the outside of the cabinet. I wanted to paint the inside a different colour, so I chose a Farrow and Ball cream coloured paint, which was another tester pot left over from when my sister was deciding on a colour for her room. I painted this colour onto the inside of the drawers as well.
 
To back the inside of the cabinet I used Liberty fabric in William Morris' Strawberry Thief print, it worked particularly well with the colour scheme as the pink of the cabinet is picked out in the fabric. I also chose this fabric because of the pastel colours of the pink and cream I didn't want to use a pastel fabric for the back as well, I thought it would be better to use a contrasting fabric. As a finishing touch I used some vintage lace trim on the ends of the shelves. I bought this trim at a vintage fair a while ago and as I didn't have a lot of it I have been saving it for the perfect project.
 


 
The next stage was to fill the cabinet, which I finished doing last weekend. In the cabinet are a few of my vintage and sewing items. I spent ages organising these things so they looked just right.  The cabinet is probably bigger than you would think from the pictures, so I was able to fit quite a few things in it. As you can see, in the cabinet, I have put a lot of wooden reels with trims wound on and a couple of miniature vintage teacups. I have filled two of these teacups with the sequins I bought in Paris and the other with trims in the cup and beads in the saucer. The glass jars which I customised with heart buttons a while ago, have found a new home in the cabinet. One of my favourite vintage items I have ever bought, a tiny floral plate stands up on the top shelf, finishing off the vintage theme.
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment